Therapy at The Hand Care Center / Shoulder And Elbow Institute
The goal of this comprehensive therapy program is to provide effective, individualized assessment and treatment for patients with upper extremity injuries and disorders.
Staffed by Certified Hand Therapists with high degrees of specialization, experience and advanced study, The Hand Care Center/Shoulder and Elbow Institute Therapy Program works with patients to hasten their recovery and return them to a productive lifestyle.
Who Benefits from Upper Extremity Therapy?Patients with the following conditions may benefit from Upper Extremity Therapy:
Type of Services
In addition to the comprehensive evaluation by certified hand therapists, The Center offers programs that include:
- Splinting, custom fitting and fabrication of splints, as well as Silver Ring splints for arthritic fingers.
- Edema/Swelling Control, fitting of appropriate pressure garments and edema control techniques
- Acute Wound Care and Scar Management
- Graded Therapeutic Exercise and Activity, to improve motion, strength and functional use.
- Work Conditioning
- Therapeutic Modalities, to assist in the control of pain and inflammation.
- Desensitization Program, to alleviate nerve hypersensitivity and promote function.
- Patient Education, an essential element for successful recovery and patients will take an active and important role in the rehabilitation.
- Prevention of Injury or Re-Injury, emphasis is placed on educating patients about how to avoid a future injury or aggravate a current one.
Patients may be referred to The Hand Care Center/Shoulder and Elbow Institute Upper Extremity Therapy Program by their physicians. In order to initiate treatment, the referring physician submits a signed prescription. Coordination of evaluations and commnunication of assessment findings are routinely provided to all referral sources.
Patients are treated in a supportive atmosphere by sensitive, caring professionals. Realizing that minimizing additional stress hastens the recovery process, The Hand Care Center/Shoulder and Elbow Institute therapists interact with patients to lessen anxiety and maximize healing.
Therapy Service Hours
8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
All treatments are provided by therapists certified by the Hand Therapy Certification Commision and licensed by State of California.
Judy Brown, OTR/L, CHT
Nancy Parrish, OTR/L, CHT
Nancy Berard-Shuman, OTR/L, PAM
Mandy Ho, OTR/L CHT
Nancy Youtkus, PT